CE 459/559 Transportation Operations Winter 2014
- Methods of Analysis for Transportation Operations [Daganzo and Newell]
- Unlocking Some Mysteries of Traffic Flow Theory [Bertini]
- Bertini Mysteries
- Bottleneck Shanghai [pdf] [ppt]
- Bottleneck Diagnosis on the Gardiner Expressway [Bertini]
- Traffic Flow and Capacity [Cassidy]
- Traffic Flow Theory: A Monograph, 1975 [TRB]
- Traffic Forum References [TU Dresden]
- Revised Traffic Flow Theory Monograph: [TRB]
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction (Gartner, Messer, Rathi)
- Chapter 2 (revised): Traffic Stream Characteristics (Hall)
- Chapter 3: Human Factors (Koppa)
- Chapter 4: Car Following Models (Rothery)
- Chapter 5 (revised): Continuum Models (Kühne, Michalopolous, Zhang)
- Chapter 6: Macroscopic Flow Models (Williams)
- Chapter 7: Traffic Impact Models (Ardekani, Hauer, Jamei)
- Chapter 8: Unsignalized Intersection Theory (Troutbeck, Brilon)
- Chapter 9: Traffic Flow at Signalized Intersections (Rouphail, Tarko, Li)
- Chapter 10: Traffic Simulation (Lieberman, Rathi)
- Chapter 11: Kinetic Theories (Nelson)
- Newell: Bibliography
- Newell: Memoirs on Highway Traffic Flow Theory in the 1950s
- Newell: A Review of Traffic Flow Theory, Berkeley, February 25, 1965
- Lawson TRB presentation [ppt]
- Van Lint Time Mean Speed [ppt]
- Myton paper [ppt]
- Hoogendoorn and Bovy: State-of-the-Art in Vehicular Traffic Flow Monitoring.
- Gazis: The Origins of Traffic Theory
- HCM Applications Guidebook
- NGSIM Data
- I-880 Field Experiment (Freeway Service Patrol Evaluation)
Data available at: http://ipa.eecs.berkeley.edu/~pettyk/FSP/
- Berkeley Highway Laboratory
See website: http://bhl.its.berkeley.edu:9006/bhl/index.html
- Roundabout Simulation using cell transmission model
- Martin Treiber Simulation Videos: http://vwisb7.vkw.tu-dresden.de/~treiber/movie3d/index.html
- MIT Open Courseware Transportation Flow Systems
- Lindgren and Tantiyanugulchai Paramics/VISSIM [paper] [presentation]
- ODOT Highway to Route Number cross reference: to http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/otms/Route_Hwy_CrossRef.shtml
- ODOT Traffic Counts: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/tsm/tvt.shtml
- Shockwave traffic jams recreated for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M
- Air traffic Europe
- Fedex diversions to Memphis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qPtWc4heA
Introduction to Traffic Flow Theory
Overview (or History) of Traffic Flow Theory
- Traffic Flow and Capacity (M. Cassidy)
- Unlocking Some Mysteries of Traffic Flow Theory (R. Bertini)
Traffic Flow Theory (Macroscopic)
- "Memoirs on Highway Traffic Flow Theory in the 1950’s" (G. Newell)
- "State-of-the-art of Vehicular Traffic Flow Modeling" (S. Hoogendoorn and P. Bovy)
Empirical Studies Supporting LWR Model
- LWR Model: "On Kinematic Waves. I. Flow Movement in Long Rivers. II. A Theory of Traffic Flow on Long Crowded Roads." (M. Lighthill and G. Whitham, 1955), Proc. Roy. Society. A 229 281-345
- "Shockwaves on the Highway", Operation Research 4 42-51 (P. Richards)
- "A Simplified Theory of Kinematic Waves in Highway Traffic" (G. Newell, 1993), Transportation Research 27B 281-313
- "Requiem for high-order fluid approximations of traffic flow", (C. Daganzo), Transportation Research B, 29 (4), 277-287
Traffic Phenomena not Explained by LWR Model
- "Traffic Flow in Tunnels" (L. Edie and R. Foote), Proceedings of Highway Research Board 37, 334-344
- "Bivariate relations in highway traffic" (M. Cassidy), Transportation Research 32B(1) 49-59
- "Structure of the Transition Zone Behind Freeway Queues" (J. Munoz and C. Daganzo), Transportation Science 37, 312-329
- "Possible Explanations of Phase Transitions in Highway Traffic" (C. Daganzo, M. Cassidy, and R. Bertini), Transportation Research A 33(5)
- Capacity drop: "Observations at a Freeway Bottleneck" (M. Cassidy and R. Bertini), 14th ISTTT
- Hysteresis phenomena: "The Hysteresis Phenomenon in Traffic Flow" (J. Treiterer and J. Myers), 6th ISTTT
- Stop-and-Go driving: "Freeway Traffic Oscillations" (M. Mauch and M. Cassidy), ISTTT
- Moving Bottleneck: "Moving Bottlenecks: A Theory Grounded on Experimental Observation" (J. Munoz and C. Daganzo), 12th ISTTT
- Phantom-jams: "Theory of Congested Traffic Flow: Self-Organization without Bottlenecks" (B. Kerner, 1999), 14th ISTTT
- "Instability in Dense Highway Traffic", (G. Newell), 2nd ISTTT
- "A moving bottleneck" (G. Newell, 1988), Transportation Research B, 32(8), 531-537*
- "A continuum Theory of Traffic Dynamics for Freeways with Special Lanes" (C. Daganzo, 1997) Transportation Research B, 31(2), 83-102
- "A Behavioral Theory of Multi-Lane Traffic Flow Part I: Long Homogeneous Freeway Sections", (C. Daganzo, 2002), Transportation Research B, 36 (2), 131-158
- "A Behavioral Theory of Multi-Lane Traffic Flow Part II: Merges and the Onset of Congestion", (C. Daganzo, 2002),Transportation Research B, 36 (2), 159-169
- "A Mathematical Theory of Traffic Hysteresis" (M. Zhang), Transportation Research B, 33(1), 1-23
- "Remarks on Traffic Flow Modeling and its Applications" (C. Daganzo)
Bottleneck Identification Papers
- Cassidy and Windover (1995)
- Muñoz, J. C. and Daganzo C. F. (2002). Fingerprinting Traffic from Static Freeway Sensors, Cooper@tive Tr@nsport@tion Dyn@mics, 1, 1-11. http://vwisb7.vkw.tu-dresden.de/TrafficForum/journalArticles/ctd02050601.pdf
- Bertini, R.L., Hansen, S. and Bogenberger, K. Empirical Analysis of Traffic Sensor Data Surrounding a Bottleneck on a German Autobahn. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., 2004.
- Bertini, R.L. and Myton, A. Using PeMS Data to Empirically Diagnose Freeway Bottleneck Locations in Orange County, California. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., 2004.
- Bertini, R.L. and Malik, S. Observed Dynamic Traffic Features On a Freeway Section with Merges and Diverges. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., No. 1867, pp. 25-35, 2004.
- Bertini, R.L. Detecting Signals of Bottleneck Activation for Freeway Operations and Control. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 35-45, January-March 2005.
- Bertini, R.L. and Leal, M. Empirical Study of Traffic Features at a Freeway Lane Drop. Journal of Transportation Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 131, No. 6, June 2005.
- Bertini, R.L. and Cassidy, M.J. Some Observed Queue Discharge Features at a Freeway Bottleneck Downstream of a Merge. Transportation Research, Part A Policy and Practice, Vol. 36, No. 8, Elsevier, pp. 683-697, October 2002.
- Cassidy, M.J. and Bertini, R.L. Some Traffic Features at Freeway Bottlenecks. Transportation Research, Part B, Methodological, Vol. 33, No. 1, Elsevier, pp. 25-42, Jan. 1999.
- Bertini, R.L., Lindgren, R.V., Helbing, D. and Schonhof, M. The German Autobahn: An ITS Test Bed for Examining Dynamic Traffic Flow Phenomena. 8th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vienna, Austria , September 13-16, 2005.
- Bertini, R.L., Boice, S. and Bogenberger, K. Using ITS Data Fusion to Examine Traffic Dynamics on a Freeway with Variable Speed Limits. 8th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vienna, Austria, September 13-16, 2005 .
- Cassidy, M.J. and Bertini, R.L. Observations at a Freeway Bottleneck. In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Symposium on Transportation and Traffic Theory (14th ISTTT), Jerusalem , Israel, Pergamon, New York, 1999, pp. 107-124.
- Bertini, R.L., Lindgren, R.V., Helbing, D. and Schonhof, M. Empirical Observations of Dynamic Traffic Flow Phenomena on a German Autobahn. December 2004. [Abstract]
- Bertini, R.L., Lindgren, R., Helbing, D. and Schönhof, M. Empirical Analysis of Flow Features on a German Autobahn. November 2003.
- Horowitz, Z. and Bertini, R.L. Using PORTAL Data to Empirically Diagnose Freeway Bottlenecks Located on Oregon Highway 217. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2007.